I am a woman whose heart yearns for realness. Realness for myself, but also realness for women around me, for I know with realness comes freedom! I long for greater confidence in Christ and hope to inspire those I come into contact with to feel the same. This is a blog about my journey to transform into something more beautiful, something more real, like a butterfly. These are ponderings from a willing heart.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The discipline of wise speech

     Anyone who knows me (or spends more than 5 seconds around me) knows that I like to talk.  I was born with the gift of gab.  My mom and grandmother often tell stories of me at a very early age being able to hold full adult conversations.  I love to sit for hours on end with a good cup of coffee and a girl friend of a like mind and talk the day away.  Lynnlee is picking up on this little characteristic as well.  That little munchkin can hold her own in a conversation (now granted you can't understand 90% of it).  
     I say all of that to say that when God is not at the center of my heart and I am not focusing on His glorification I can get WAY off track with my speech.  The past few weeks in church my pastor has been speaking on wisdom and the importance that speech plays in attaining, maintaining, and teaching wisdom.  Needless to say I have been dealing with some serious convictions.  But as I was praying and reading scriptures this week God has been so gracious and loving to me on this topic.  First, He reminded me that He created me just the way I am, loud voice and large vocabulary included.  Second, He reminded me of the passion He placed inside of me for the hearts of other women and encouraging their walk with Jesus.  And third, He reminded me that He doesn't convict me and then leave me in my conviction, hoping that I figure it out.  He gives me grace and wisdom if I seek Him.  
     So this week has been sort of like the first week back in the gym after a long hiatus.  It's been a little awkward, frustrating, and exhausting.  But also encouraging... God has been so good to place conversation and opportunity in my path this week that has been uplifting.  He has prompted me to be silent or to speak with grace and mercy.  He has given Travis and I opportunity to have those intimate conversations so that I can use my words to encourage and lift him up. (If you haven't tried this with your husbands, I'm telling you from experience, a little encouragement and praise goes a LONG LONG way!)  Proverbs 10:11 speaks of this kind of speech like this: "The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life..." Lord may my speech be like a fountain of life... refreshing those I come in contact with and encouraging and uplifting others with my words.  

No comments:

Post a Comment