I am a woman whose heart yearns for realness. Realness for myself, but also realness for women around me, for I know with realness comes freedom! I long for greater confidence in Christ and hope to inspire those I come into contact with to feel the same. This is a blog about my journey to transform into something more beautiful, something more real, like a butterfly. These are ponderings from a willing heart.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Discipline and Self Control

Okay for real don't stop reading at the title... these are not popular topics to think/talk/write about.  But this is what God is teaching me right now, I know fun right? The problem with discipline and self control is that it is so darn hard!  I mean how easy is it to keep your mouth shut when you have nothing good to say, wake up when the alarm goes off to have time with the Lord when you would rather see the inside of your eye lids, maintain your patience with your (my) 18 month old when she (for the third time) loses your keys.  These are all simple things that point to one truth about me, I have no self control and discipline.  But I am learning.  I have learned that I cannot muster up the ability to have self control all on my own.  The good news is that God doesn't just leave us there doomed to failure in our self control and discipline.  Because whatever God commands, He also gives us the grace to obey.  That is great news for me! I mean how many times have I tried to do this on my own only to end up discouraged and feeling like a failure.  The answer is that I need to turn to God for the guidance and the grace required to obey this command.  And it's not for me to say that I am "holy" or something along those lines.  I am modeling for my 18 month old munchkin, how to be a woman of God.  How can I look at her in her fits of rage and say "Lynnlee Jade, you need to use your self control and not hit Mommy because you are angry." Unless I can also listen to the Holy Spirit tell me "Courtney, you need to close your mouth about that person no matter how badly you have been hurt" or "Courtney, you need to get your butt out of bed and have some time with the Lord before your little personal tornado wakes up."  God, please grant me to grace to obey Your command to self control and discipline.  Free me from my selfishness and pride and allow me to see and hear your voice leading me in the way of righteousness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment